- olive oil
- cooked carrot
- black pepper
- garlic clove
- bay leaf
- Sea salt
- To make the vinaigrette, in a bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, rosemary, and 1 teaspoon salt. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil, whisking constantly until emulsified. Let stand at room temperature while you make the salad.
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Add the chopped carrots, asparagus, and shallots to a baking dish and drizzle with the olive oil, and toss to coat. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and a grinding of pepper. Spread out into a single layer.
- Roast until browned in spots and tender but not mushy, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and tent loosely with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine the lentils, bay leaf, garlic, and 4 cups of water and cook until the lentils are tender. Drain the lentils in a colander placed in the sink. Discard the bay leaf and the garlic.
- Transfer lentils to a large salad bowl and add the carrots, asparagus and shallots. Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and toss gently to combine. Serve warm.