- chick peas
- olive oil
- black pepper
- Peel and chop the onion.
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas.
- Wash the cauliflower and cut into small florets.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until it starts to soften, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the cumin, ginger, some salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes (crushing with your hands as you add them) and their liquid, chickpeas, cauliflower, raisins, and ½ cup water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until the vegetables are tender and the liquid has slightly thickened, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Fold in the spinach and cook until just wilted, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice. Fluff with a fork. Serve with the stew.