- olive oil
- black pepper
- garlic clove
- vegetable broth
- Parmesan cheese
- Sliced mushroom
- Place oven rack is in the middle position. Preheat oven to 375ºF (190ºC).
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium casserole medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, for ten minutes, then add the minced garlic. Cook for another 2 to 4 minutes, until the onions are well browned.
- Add broth (leave 1 cup broth for later), cover, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove from heat and stir in the rice. Cover the pot and bake until rice is tender and cooked through, about 60 minutes. It will seem pretty dry when you take off the lid, but don’t worry!
- During the last 20 minutes of baking time, prepare the mushrooms. Warm 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet until shimmering. Add the cleaned, sliced mushrooms to the pot with a dash of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are darker in color, fragrant and have soaked up most of their own juices, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the oven. Pour in the remaining cup of broth, the Parmesan, butter, salt, and a generous amount of pepper. Stir vigorously for 2 to 3 minutes, until the rice is thick and creamy. Stir in the mushroom mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and top with a generous sprinkling of torn, fresh oregano leaves.